Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Royally Speaking with Moniek of History of Royal Women

The one in which I talked to Moniek of the History of Royal Women blog as part of our Royal Speaking series.

Your blog, as its name suggests, mainly deals with royal women in history, news related to them, as well as chronicling your visits to various royal sights. Are these your main interest when it comes to royalty or are there any others not featured on your own blog?
I would say they are my main interests, I do keep up with most of the current royal but I don't like writing about them. Instead I have a bookcase filled with English language books about royal women and I enjoy writing about both the well-known and the not so well known royal women.

Was it with either history or architecture that your interest in royals started or vice versa (first royals, then history)?
My fascination began after watching the Tudors tv series. I began researching Anne Boleyn and from her read first about the other English queens and later also royal women from other countries and dynasties. I find the castles interesting because it's a piece of hem left behind. As if you can walk in their footsteps.

Is there a special period in history and its women you are especially interested in and if yes, what is it that fascinates you most about this certain time period?
My initial fascination with Anne Boleyn still lingers. It was such a turbulent time in history with the reformation and later the ascension of the first English female monarchs.

If you could be one historical royal figure for a day, who would you like to be for 24 hours?
Staying in he Tudor period, I think I would go for Mary I. I believe she is a very misunderstood figure and does not deserve the nickname 'Bloody Mary'.

Last but most certainly not least, if you could invite six royals (dead or alive) to a dinner party, who would find an invitation in their mailbox?
Hmm this is a difficult one!
Most certainly Anne Boleyn, simply because I have so many questions.
Christina of Sweden
Eleanor of Aquitaine
Empress Matilda
Empress Elisabeth of Austria
Marie Antoinette
- All of them are interesting women who played a part in history!

No comments:

Post a Comment